[SasView Users] SasView Contributor Camp, 16-22 Jan 2024, Newark, DE, USA

Stephen King - STFC UKRI via users users at lists.sasview.org
Wed Nov 22 13:37:12 EST 2023

Dear SasView User,

Over the past several years a core development team have met approximately annually for a residential Code Camp at which we 'blitz' the worst bugs in SasView, incorporate some new features, and try and keep the documentation as up to date as we can. These Camps have also been an informal and convivial means of promoting the collaborative nature of the SasView development process.

However, some of you started to enquire about taking part in future Camps. So in 2019 we hatched plans for something we started calling a Contributor Camp. This was to have taken place in March 2020 but... well, you know the rest of the story! We have now resurrected the concept.

So we are pleased to announce that our very first Contributor Camp will take place in Newark, Delaware, USA from the 16th through 22nd January 2024 on the campus of the University of Delaware. For logistical reasons it will be in-person with no virtual attendance.

Registration is now live through https://github.com/SasView/sasview/wiki/ContributorCampXII .

Registration and attendance are free, but attendees are responsible for their own travel, accommodation and subsistence.

The aim of the Contributor Camp is to grow the community of volunteers that can develop, sustain and contribute to SasView into the future. It will do this through a mix of instructional presentations and hands-on tasking in the presence of experienced contributors in an informal 'hackathon' type of environment. Importantly, it will also recognise that there is more to SasView than just coding. We want attendees to contribute where they feel most comfortable, whether that be through core coding, writing plugin models, functionality testing, verifying math, writing/reviewing documentation or tutorials, undertaking sysadmin tasks on our servers, and so on.

If you use SasView a lot in your research, and would like the opportunity to give something back, then the Contributor Camp will show you how.

Finally, If the Contributor Camp is a success we will plan to run more. So we would also be very pleased to receive offers from anyone willing to be a potential future host. Our needs are modest: a few meeting rooms with reliable wifi, with affordable accommodation and some eateries nearby, and a source of good coffee (mustn't forget the coffee!). If you can help, please let us know at management at sasview.org<mailto:management at sasview.org>.

We hope to see some of you in January!

With Seasons Greetings,
The SasView Development Team