[SasView Users] Treatment of Self-Assembled Structures

Grayson Johnson via users users at lists.sasview.org
Thu May 7 14:47:59 EDT 2020

Dear Users Forum,

I’m new to the process of fitting SAXS data, and I am looking for guidance
on what assumptions to make for my models. I have a set of small, probably
spherical particles that assemble into micron length rectangular prism
shaped structures. I have a known crystal structure from TEM images. Is it
better to model the SAXS profile as a parallelepiped (and presumably miss
out on the structure factor information that is present) or as spheres? If
I do as spheres, is there a good way to use the crystal structure
information to help the model along? When I perform a fit with spheres, I
don’t seem to get the really low q behavior that I get with the
parallelepiped. When I fit with the parallelepiped, the fit takes upwards
of 30 minutes, and I haven’t quite been able to dial in on the parameters.
The assemblies have a lot of variation in length, but not too much in width
and height.

Thanks for any help that you can provide,

Grayson Johnson